Effective Monday, November 16, Saint Ignatius High School will pivot to our Off Campus schedule for one week. Our plan is to resume in person learning on Monday, January 11, returning with our current On Campus schedule.
Campus will remain open. Teachers are welcome to come to campus to conduct lessons in classrooms or from offices or to stay home and conduct lessons from there. Students will be able to come to campus to retrieve materials. Students should first report to the Principal’s office in the Main Building.
COVID-19 presents a tremendous challenge for educators to balance our goal of providing a rigorous, Catholic, Jesuit education and the health and safety recommendations of leading medical experts. School will look very different this year, but the health and safety of students, faculty and staff defined our guiding principles of reopening.
We have created an On Campus schedule
, allowing students to be on campus five days a week, Monday – Friday. Classes will be held every day and follow a morning and afternoon schedule. This schedule allows for safe, physical distancing in that class sizes will be reduced by 50 percent.
There was much work, reflection and dialogue around the development of this schedule. Created by faculty members, the schedule reflects the voiced desires of parents and families along with advice from our medical partners at University Hospital.
Class size will be different, generally between 10-15 students. Additionally, we are looking at ways in which we can utilize our larger spaces (Sullivan Gym, Rade Dining Hall, etc.) to accommodate safe, physical distancing. We will also utilize outdoor spaces on campus (weather permitting), which allow for greater occupancy while observing appropriate distancing.
By being on campus five days a week, the experience will be similar to that of a college or university where teachers encounter their students two to three times each week for live classes and students are expected to learn in an asynchronous environment in between.
Details and benefits of the On Campus schedule
- A consistent 8 a.m. start time and a 3:15 p.m. end time.
- Live 45-minute instruction periods delivered by our teachers two to three times per week.
- A published and predictable calendar of our A/B rotation for the entire semester.
- Students – and teachers – will have a lunch period and free periods.
- Established times for extracurricular activities and faith formation.
- Students are allowed to be on campus the entire day.
The health and well being of the Saint Ignatius community is our priority. Everyone on the Saint Ignatius High School campus will be required to wear a face covering. Either a face mask or a shield is acceptable. The school requests that no travel outside of the State of Ohio be done two weeks prior to the start of school on Monday, August 24. Each day, everyone – faculty, staff and students – must go through a health and safety
checklist before entering campus. If anyone is experiencing the following they must stay home:
- Registers a temperature higher than 100.0 F
- Has a cough
- Has a sore throat
- Is experiencing shortness of breath
- Is experiencing a loss of taste and smell
- Is experiencing GI upset
- Has been in close contact (less than six feet for longer than 15 minutes at a time) with anyone who has recently (within the last 14 days) tested positive for COVID-19
Read the latest CDC Guidelines
on what to do if you are sick.
- Standards for Using Google Classroom and PowerSchool Learning