Welcome to Saint Ignatius High School from the Athletic Department. At Saint Ignatius we offer a very fine interscholastic athletic program to all of our students. In the fall we offer football, soccer, cross-country, and golf. The winter sports are basketball, wrestling, ice hockey, bowling, and swimming/diving. The spring sports include baseball, crew, lacrosse, track, tennis, rugby, and volleyball. Freshmen have teams of their own in most of these sports, but may play on a junior varsity or varsity team when there is not a separate freshman team in that sport.
For those who plan to go out for football, soccer, golf or cross-country, there will be a mandatory meeting held for the parents of each of these teams on the evening of Thursday, July 25, 2019, at 6 p.m. in The Breen Center for the Performing Arts.
Notes regarding the pre-season meetings for athletics:
- There are two parts to the pre-season athletic meetings -- we hold a fall, winter, and spring meeting:
- Part I at 6 p.m. covers Saint Ignatius and OHSAA expectations and procedures
- Part II at 7 p.m. is the team meeting with the coach.
- If your son is a prospective athlete you must attend Part I before tryouts - you only need to attend this portion of the meeting once per year if your son is a multisport athlete. You must attend Part II for each sport your son may play – the location of these meetings will be sent out via email prior to the meeting date.
- These meetings are mandatory – both parents and athletes are invited to attend.
- We will use a sign-in/check-in for each meeting to ensure compliance with Part I.
Please use the following link to compile player information– tinyurl.com/sihsFreshmenFootball
We will have a Freshmen Football Welcome event, Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 6 p.m. Players and parent/guardians are welcomed to Saint Ignatius High School at The Breen Center for the Performing Arts for an introduction to the football program. There will be a tour of the facilities, a cookout and coaches will be on hand to meet the incoming families. Please RSVP for this event at tinyurl.com/FreshmenFootballRSVP
*If you and your son are unable to attend, you do not need to send an email as this is a voluntary event. Families will receive a follow up email after the event to fill everybody in on what was covered, including dates for the summer. All emails will go to your Saint Ignatius-issued email accounts.
For your planning purposes, there will be lifting sessions starting Monday, June at 3:30 p.m. There are no lifts available for incoming freshmen on campus prior to that date. Training sessions will be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday during the summer. There will be summer mini-camps on July 23, July 24 and July 25 from 5 to 7 p.m. on Kyle Field and July 29, 30, 31 from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. There is a parent meeting on Thursday, July 25 starting at 6 p.m. Please note that we will practice Monday through Saturday during the month of August and once school starts the freshmen will begin practice at 3:15 p.m. and finish at 6 p.m. Football candidates will also have the opportunity to order practice packs, football shoes and other related gear. This information will be passed on at a later date.
- Summer Open Field Times – Summer scrimmaging will take place every Monday and Wednesday from 6-8 p.m. These are optional scrimmage activities for all incoming freshmen through seniors. We will begin on Monday, June 3, and conclude on Wednesday, July 24. Tese will take place on McLaughlin and Kyle Fields.
- Dutch Camp – All freshmen through seniors are invited to participate in the Dutch Team Camp. The camp brochure will be posted on the school soccer webpage at www.ignatiuswildcats.com/soccer-home. The camp will be held July 8-12, from 9 - 11:30 a.m.
- Tryout Information – Freshmen tryouts will begin on Thursday, August 1, will run from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. each day, and will be held on McLaughlin Field. There will be fitness requirements which will posted on the school soccer webpage.
- Contact Information – Please email Coach McLaughlin at email@example.com to be included on the summer group chat/email list.This list will notify you of any weather changes/cancellations for the Summer open Field Time, and other pertinent summer information.
- Summer Behavior – What matters most to the coaches of the soccer program is how you live your life. We are most interested in how you behave, how you treat others, and how you treat yourself. Enjoy your summer break, but always know that you represent your family, as well as your new school Saint Ignatius High School, and hopefully someday soon you will be part of one of the top high school soccer programs in the country. Whether on the soccer field for your club team, or on the beach with your friends – please take pride in whom it is you represent.
The tryout schedule for the 2019 season is as follows:
- Thursday, August 1 at Pine Hills
- Friday, August 2 at Avon Oaks
- Saturday, August 3 at Windmill Lakes
You will be able to sign up for a tee time by going to www.ignatiuswildcats.com/golf
. The tee time sign up page will be open at some point in late May. Please check the website for updates. Please contact Coach Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Coach Beach at email@example.com
if you have any questions.
Students interested in running cross country should email the Head Coach, Dr. Mike Gallagher, to be added to the informational mailing list - firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mandatory preseason meeting for Cross Country is scheduled for Monday, May 20 at 6 p.m. in the Library. Head Freshman Coach, Bob Wolf and Coach Gallagher will review the summer training and practice schedule, the team handbook, school practice times and the 2019 season schedule. All interested incoming freshmen and at least one parent should attend.
Strength and Conditioning Center
The Saint Ignatius Strength and Conditioning Center will be open to freshman on Monday through Thursday from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. all summer starting on Monday, June 3. Anthony Rubino, the Director of Strength and Conditioning, will be present most days to assist the incoming freshmen with technique and to provide an introduction to our strength program.
Forms for Participation
All of the forms necessary for participating in Athletics can be found on FinalForms. You will receive an email containing information about your Final Forms account in early June. Please refer to you Freshman Family Welcome Booklet for information on accessing these forms.
- All participants in athletics MUST have a completed OHSAA Physical Examination Form on file in the athletic office before the first practice. The completed physical will cover all sports for the entire school year. All forms can be obtained via FinalForms, but we also have put the link for the OHSAA Physical on our Athletic website at www.ignatiuswildcats.com/athleticforms. A physical exam to participate in athletics is of utmost importance.
- The other forms required to be filled out online include:
- Emergency Medical Authorization (EMA)
- The Ohio Department of Health form on Concussion Awareness
- The OHSAA Authorization Form
ATHLETES WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO PRACTICE UNTIL ALL FORMS ARE COMPLETED
SAVE THE DATE for Wildcats Roar
Wildcats Roar is the Athletic Department's annual fundraiser and will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24, 2019. This is your opportunity to meet coaches from each sport, socialize with other Saint Ignatius families and support Wildcat Athletics. Funds raised at this event provide our athletes with the resources they need to continue challenging themselves to use their talents for the greater glory of God. Please save the date and join us for Wildcats Roar. Invitations will be mailed in June.
We are proud to welcome you as a Wildcat. Good luck in all of your activities at Saint Ignatius High School. Please contact Brad Ganor, Assistant Athletic Director at email@example.com if you should have any questions or concerns.